Saturday, March 12, 2011

Race # 10 - Feed Stokes 5k, King, NC

Feed Stokes 5k
9:00 AM
King, NC
Time: 21:04
Placed 7th Overall

Today was my first 5k race since the Trinity Center 5k back in October. After 4 months of marathon training and running that first marathon, I figured I would be able to beat my PR of 22:05 from that October race. This was also the first race I had even ran in my hometown. So I 'knew the course' since it was on all local roads. I knew where the hills were and where I'd be able to kick it up a notch so I felt good going in to this race.

As the name shows, the 'Feed Stokes' 5k was to benefit our county outreach ministry so we were all asked to bring at least 3 cans of food to donate to the local shelter that provides for the needy. After arriving, I dropped off my food, picked up my packet, and headed to warm up. Summer was again there to cheer me on. My parents also showed up to as I noticed when I ran by the area where we'd eventually finished.

All runners gathered at the starting line and I made my way to the front as I hoped to place well amongst the group. Our local high school track team had a few people there as well so I knew they would be good competition and I probably wouldn't beat some of them. We started off and I took off. A motorcycle pacer led the way and the one who eventually proved to be the winner, was right on his tale. I settled in with a couple of other guys. My first mile was 6:45 according to my Garmin. At the end of the first mile, I was passed by a man pushing a double baby jogger with 2 kids in it. I was hoping I would not get beat by him in the end.

The second mile had some uphill in it so I really started feeling it as I tried to keep my pace up. We entered central park and made a lap around it. It was here that I passed the baby jogger as he had to stop due to one of his kids wanting some water at the only water stop. I grabbed a small cup on my way out of the park, and threw some in my mouth just to get it wet as it was sort of dry from my breathing. Then we headed up the road to downtown King. This part was mostly flat and my Garmin beeped for mile two at 7:00 flat. I was feeling good and knew it was easy from here on out.

I made a pass on a guy I had ran behind for a while and never saw him again. We entered a neighborhood that was slightly downhill and I picked it up a little knowing I had two more small uphills remaining. I kept my pace up the first small hill and headed for the finish. I started sprinting and made it up the hill as people cheered me on. I was all alone not being passed, but too far behind the guy in front of me to pass. At this point I just wanted to finish strong. I ran through the finish line and stopped my watch at 21:04, a full 61 seconds faster than my previous PR.

I finished 7th overall and 1st in my Age Group! A new PR and the motivation to crack 21 minutes for the next one! Thanks to Summer for taking the pictures and being supportive of me once again.

Lining up at the start. I'm in the blue shirt with the black arm warmers looking down at my watch.

And we're off! #14

After the finish. Loving the arm warmers from the marathon I ran.

1st place in my age group!

No comments:

Post a Comment