Monday, March 26, 2012

Race # 22 - Feed Stokes 5k

Feed Stokes 5k
3/10/12
9:00 AM
King, NC
Time: 20:34
Place: 5th overall; 1st age group

A little late on this report. For the second consecutive year, I ran the Feed Stokes 5k here in my hometown. I like this event A) because it's $20 to enter and B) they ask that each entrant bring canned foods to support the local outreach ministry. So a win win for everyone here.

This was my first race since Gemma was born so of course she did not make it out in the cold weather to watch. She will one day though. Last year I ran this race and had a respectable time of 21:04. Goal #1 was to beat that time. Goal #2 was to go sub-20 minutes and goal #3 was to beat my PR of 19:52 set in December. I'd be happy with any of those.

I'm not sure why, but I just didn't have a PR in me on this day. So #3 was out the window. I got out to a good start and was in the top 10 with a few others who I knew would fade eventually. I just kept my pace and ran how I felt like running. First mile was done in 6:28. I knew right then I wouldn't PR, but sub-20 was still attainable.

As we headed through the King Central Park, I settled in about 10 yards behind a guy and was planning to wait and make my move later. Although there are no 'hills' in this race, there are a few inclines. Mixed in with a little wind which knocked me back every now and again, my second mile was 6:58. I figured out at that point I wouldn't go sub-20. So I just wanted to finish strong at this point.

We get out on Dalton road and head back to the park to the finish. It's a slight downhill on this road so I picked up my pace and made my move around the guy in front of me. He didn't counter. No one was in sight in front of me. My goal at this point was no surprise attacks from behind. As I entered the park, I tried to push myself. Eventually the finish line came in sight, with a slight incline at the finish, I pushed as hard as I could. Mile 3 was clocked at 6:28 (same as mile 1), and I crossed the line in 20:34.

I beat last year's time by 31 seconds. I feel like I could have done better, but I can't complain. The winner finished in 18:03 so if I can knock about a minute off my time, that'd be great. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment