Saturday, August 27, 2011

Race # 13 - Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k, Winston Salem, NC

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k
5/7/11
8:00 AM
Winston Salem, NC
Time: 29:59

Today was my birthday race and I told Summer I would run this 5k with her and not 'race'. She told me she wanted to break 30 minutes so I decided to pace her. We met up with a group from our church and took our team picture, then headed to the start line.

After the national anthem, we took off, the first mile being a gentle uphill. Mile 1 was done in 10:23, a little off pace, but because of the hill. Mile 2 was mostly flat and I was just encouraging Summer to use the downhills to her advantage. She did and mile two split was 9:12.

As we started the final mile, I knew it would be close and we'd have to push the pace to make it under 30 minutes. On the third mile we saw Rudy, a race photographer who I work with. He snapped our photo as we passed by and we kept pushing. As we made the final turn and headed toward the finish line, the mile 3 split showed 8:58! Just a little further and we were almost done.

We hit the finish and my watch stopped at 29:59! It was an amazing run and I'm so proud of Summer for digging deep and meeting her goal. I'm so lucky to have an awesome wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment